Friday, September 3, 2010

Competition doesn't go away

I've been off running for almost two months now....wow! I was exhausted at first, I thought I had lost my running desires forever! That place where I dug down deep within me to find that final ounce of energy was gone, it was way beyond empty. It was weird, feeling as if I didn't care, I have never been passive. I'm still experiencing a bit of this love-hate relationship when my thoughts come to racing but through this time I've realized my quest for competition can be tamed but it'll never be far away.


That's why I started yoga. I wasn't good and I wanted to be. I hadn't felt this dedication to succeed athletically for a few months now and I could relax at the same time. It was perfect!

I finally had a non-running athletic goal that I was excited about: I was going to hold crow. I chose this pose because I so admire the core strength people posses as they effortlessly lift their rock-hard bodies and mold them into solid positions. I wanted to do this but every time I tried my wrist would buckle, my shoulders ached and ultimately I ended up face first in the mat.... see.


So for the last few weeks I've been completing a beautiful yoga practice under the stars in attempt to relax and I always made sure to try crow. Time and time again I would fall, I got to the point of holding it for like half a second before falling and that wasn't good enough. I wanted to be able to commit and hold it for longer! 


Well, here I am finally holding crow (for like 10 seconds)!!! It was small feat but it's something I chose to work towards an conquer. My next goal, handstand from crow. I know I'll do it but I think this one is going to take awhile.
xo Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment