Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Glad to be back

I woke at 8am for the 8:30 ferry. This is a Thursday “sleep in” but I was still exhausted. I grumbled my way onto the ferry because, when I'm tired, I worry the over training fatigue from last summer is on it’s way back. I like to think of my grumbling as a form of energy conservation.

I was on my way to track practice at SFU. I haven't been to the track since my injury forced me to stop back in July. When I arrived, I don't know why I thought it would be different. It was totally the usual: warm up around campus, past cornerstone, down the big hill, up the steep hill, over Johanna's heart attack hill, by the bus loop and then back to the track.  My notorious stretching table was in the same place I left it and I did my usual hip stretch. Yup, everything was the same. That was until I learned my workout fate. 3x mile. What? Are you kidding me? Serious? I’ve never completed 3 miles on the track. By the time track season rolls around I'm usually onto the shorter distances. I was nervous. Mile intervals are not really that far but I haven't met the honesty of the track in awhile and in rubber boots no less.

I dwelled for awhile and then quickly told myself to snap out of it and focus. I began the first set conservative finishing each lap in a little over 80 second. After a 5:29 mile I felt strong and relaxed. I told myself that if I keep a consistent pace it only hurts after about two laps and I can handle that. I tried to break up the distance in my mind. I didn't focus on the distance for the first part I just tried to run at a consistent pace for as long as I could. When I got to 1000 I told myself one more lap until 600 and then at 600 it was time to focus and push it. When I got to 300 I told myself this distance is nothing, I do this all the time. With 150 metres to go I only had a stride distance left so I might as well go hard. I finished the last two mile intervals in 5:25.

This is the first time I've felt satisfied with my workout in a long time. This feels so good. Both my mind and my body were so good. I mean I have a long way to go on the workout front but today I felt strong. I had power! I told myself to dig deep and go faster and I did! This is fantastic and I only can hope it continues. I leave feeling cautiously optimistic!
xo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment