Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The water taxi always runs

Last week I called the water taxi asking if they would cancel their afternoon run because of the torrential downpour. The response, "it's raining.... we always run." Enough said, after feeling a bit like a dumb blond for questioning the integrity of the oh holy water taxi I thought nothing of the snow and wind accumulating in Horseshoe Bay on Friday night. The water taxi always runs.

At 12:30am I assumed the boat was late because of rough winds, same excuse at 12:40 and by 12:50 we decided to call the water taxi at 12:55. At 12:55am we learned the boat was still on the island because they thought nobody would be waiting. What? I was surrounded by at least 15 of my closest friends and all of us wanted to be home yesterday. So we waited.... we were told they would try to drive the boat but the 60 knot winds were (k)not in our favour.

At half past one the boat crashed into the dock, we were told if you get seasick DON'T get in. As I clambered onto the boat the size of a melon (see left) I felt like I could handle the rough water but my trepidation was for the unknown. I worried the boat would capsize and I would be forced into the frigid water. When we set sail I no longer worried the boat would fall over now my only focus not to puke. I was not going to be "that girl". I wasn't going to be the dramatic one who couldn't handle the rough waves.

Anyways, what was normally a 10 minute ride became a 25 minute roller coaster of torture. When I made it onto solid land I realized I never really had sea legs as I felt like I was still on the boat. I braved the wind and snow during my walk home. There was no sign of life except for a few porch lights and random garbage cans strewn over the road. Since it had already been the longest night ever I decided to clear the road and move the garbage bins to the side - just being a good samaritan! I don't know if I'll ever get used to living on this island but it sure makes for good stories.
xo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment