Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Racing the clock with Betsy

Is it possible to live on island time when your life constantly revolves around ferry schedules? 

I don't know for sure, "chilling out" is a whole new concept that, at least I think, I'm starting to get used to if this picture is any indication. Don't be fooled, I wish I could always be the type of person who could naturally sit back and let things be but lets face it- I’m not. I’m competitive as hell in every aspect of my life. When there’s a window of opportunity I’m most definitely going to make a grab for.This couldn’t have been more obvious than my experience getting to the 9:45 ferry last night. 

When the crowds died down around lulu at 7pm I took advantage of possibly getting out early and slowly worked towards closing my section. I ask to be let go a little early in attempt to catch the last ferry and avoid my 11:30 water taxi fate. Shout out to key leader Tanner who let me go, I grabbed my turtle shell of a back pack, kicked up my heels and booked it to my yaletown apartment where I park Betsy. I literally ran into Justine and her boyfriend Ryan along the way. What a terrible first impression: sweating and toting a turtle shell. I walked for about 30 seconds of a conversation referring to my existence and a few "it's nice to finally meet you" before once again running off like a crazy person. 

I chose to rush, it was Betsy and I against the clock. I knew I would make it, I'm only a few weeks out of racing practice.  

It was as if the street light gods were cheering me on as the sea of red slowly changed to green when I approached.  Bam, bam, bam it was a near perfect drive down Georgia and over the bridge. It was no contest we ironically arrived to the ferry terminal early. 

Today I learned to relax when there's no point rushing but make things happen when you think it's worth it. Is rushing with a good attitude ok? I don't think it's possible to change who you are completely. Personal growth is most definitely important but sometimes, at least I think, your personality traits get you to where you want to be. I wanted to make the ferry. I realize a rush to the ferry is a small scale example of an anxiety driven lifestyle but here I am signing off as I take a few seconds out of the Now to laugh at myself remembering my evening. Back to relaxing and doing quite well with it!
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment