Thursday, April 21, 2011

Play hard work harder

It's a precarious balance between fun and function. How far can you push yourself without going over the edge? Where's the breaking point? I don't want to find out but I do want to have fun. I'm always wondering, as I devote my life to this sport, am I missing out? Am I balanced? How much does one good sleep benefit me versus the health detriment of a friend-filled fun weekend. This weekend I found out.... sort of.

I'm somewhat ironically nursing a cold but I'm totally ok with it. Last Friday, we hosted a bachelorette party for my friend and training partner. Let's just say we all love themes and a Newfy themed party was one for the history books.  This weekend's memories of rockin' out in gum boots and rain hats will be put away where they belong, alongside so many awesome races.  I feel like sometimes it's ok to play hard, or at least try to, as long as you're willing to work hard to justify it. Well, work hard we did less than 5 hours after getting home from a night like this.


 Jules and I were here, in Langley!

Taking on a lactic workout of broken 1000's and 600's. I finished my workout in a consistent 3:12, 1:52, 3:11, 1:51, 3:11. It was windy so the times were not amazing but we put in the work. I think the times speak more to my lack of speed work than my lack of sleep (seriously). I was hitting around 32-33 for my 200's which is not fast but I've been focusing on a lot of base training this year. As usual it's all relative in the honesty of running and giving it with 32's on the clock is not a good feeling base training or not but I know with every run I'm making those neural connections.  For now I'm willing my speed to come and off to have a nap.
xo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment