Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Virtual Run

Today it poured with rain, all day! From the moment I woke up until I sit here now getting ready for bed- rain. I'm used to the rain, I can handle the rain and knowing this "I could take on the rain if I had to": I chose the treadmill instead. As I watched the rain fall, from my 20 degree humidity controlled room, I didn't regret my decision. I put the incline to a grade of 1 (to try and simulate outside running) and set out at level 9 for 45 minutes of element free running!

Ok, well if we're being totally honest at first I did feel a twinge of "wimping out" guilt. I watched the token-few hardcores runners force through the wind and slog through the puddles and thought, that should be me. To remedy this I quickly pushed those thoughts out of my mind and pushed the pace instead.

As I wiped the sweat from my brow I justified my decision.  I haven't had a convenient treadmill option since I moved to the island. Now that I'm back in the city the treadmill is in my back yard and has become a very viable option. It was weird though, as I stepped onto the machine I felt like I was in another world. It seems as if in my 6 month hiatus treadmill technology has drastically improved. The console was a virtual touch screen. It made me feel as close to being outside without actually being outside. On this thing you can hit the trails or watch yourself run around and around the track- as if I wanted to do more laps!

As I "watched" myself run around the track over and over again I couldn't help but feel like I was in one of my typical running dreams. The ones where I can feel myself racing but at the same time I'm watching myself run.  Needless to say my run went by so fast and I can see myself opting for the treadmill more often thanks to this new gadget. My new backyard is pretty cool!
xo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment