Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mt. Sac Round 11

Well it’s that time of year again. Racing season! I’m sitting on a plane heading to California for the 11th annual, yes I said it, my 11th year attending the Mt. Sac relays. I don’t really know what to think of this, 11 years is along time to do the same thing.

As runners we are creatures of habit and this is most definitely proven by attending the same meet year after year. For me it doesn’t feel like I've been doing this for too long, it doesn't feel like a slog. It feels so normal, so familiar. Maybe it's because my racing experiences have been so different year to year that it doesn’t feel like the same meet.

I have experienced so many highs and so many lows at this meet. I have defined my running career by times I’ve run at this meet. I know this is the best place to stock up on cheap spikes, I know I will never make it to 9am no-toast breakfast and I know the Starbucks is in walking distance of the Shilo Inn. Here I ran my personal best time four years ago. A mark I’m still trying to achieve and I believe I will surpass.  This meet has taught me amazing things can happen, even when you feel inferior, and even when you least expect it.

I am optimistic. I'm not finished. I feel like in the back of my mind in the semi-conscious area (definition: a bit above the subconscious) I am able to run fast. I am not nervous, well at least not yet, mostly because this is my first race of the year. I’m feeling a little inefficient due to the cross training that has defined my last few weeks but I feel strong through my core and in my mind. I’m looking forward to this season! 

No comments:

Post a Comment