Saturday, April 3, 2010

"Running"on a rat wheel

I can't resist another post! What's wrong with me? Maybe I'm just bored or maybe I'm experiencing so much mental crossover between running and writing that it's becoming addicting. I'm realizing writing is like a muscle you have to exercise it to make it stronger. So essentially I'm just working out...whatever.

I want to share my cross training thoughts. First, let me just say I hate cross training. I feel like I'm a rat moving in circles on a rat wheel. I hate how it feels to be forced onto machines. To go nowhere while watching time slowly tick away. Your progress is only marked by the calorie counter that is totally incorrect and the growing puddles of sweat.  So why do I do it?

I don't think of all those negative thoughts when I'm on the machine.  I can't, it would be cross training suicide. I think it's this or nothing and any type of training is better than nothing. Believe it or not I'm actually quite positive. I have a new approach to cross training and I believe it will help me keep my fitness better than past attempts anyways. Unfortunately, it's not enjoyable the plan is to go for longer than I ever have before. A hour has become common place and 90 minutes is what I strive to reach. Cross training and running are not exchangeable minute for minute (I see it sort of as time and a half).

So what do I think, how do I make it though the torture. I start off with a really good playlist filled with songs I love and allow myself to start off as easy as I want. This is just my trick to get me on the machine;) I start out  by closing my eyes and singing along, I try to make it enjoyable. My first hard mental effort is to get to half an hour. When I'm at 15 minutes I think sweet, half way there and at the same time I tell myself I'm pretty much almost at 20. When I'm at 20 I think wow, only 10 minutes until I'm at 30 and 10 minutes is nothing  just 3 really good songs. With all this thinking and planning ahead sometimes I get to 30 without even realizing it. and once I've made it to 30 I feel like I'm committed.

I try to spend the next 30 minutes breaking the workout into intervals. Something like, 5 minutes at one level and then 5 at another while making sure to keep my heart rate up. There's no slacking after 30 minutes, it's committed and focused. If I'm exhausted after an hour I'll stop but if I'm questioning being fatigued I will commit for 90.

Today I committed to 90 minutes because I only worked out once. I worked in 5 minute intervals on the bike because I didn't have my trusty elliptical. My first two 5 minute intervals were weak, I realized I was almost slacking. I told myself you're fit and you know it. I told myself this is way easier than running will ever be so I need to push it and start breathing harder or I'll regret it when I'm back on the track. I pushed it after that and did 5 mins hard, 5 mins a little easier until the time read 90-mintutes. OMG I did intervals for an hour without even realizing it. It's funny how repeating 201 in your head and picturing that as you're sprinting down the track can really get you going.

I've realized working in intervals and mini-goals is the best way for me to make it through these cross training sessions in an enjoyable way. For now, I am optimistic about coming out 100% healthy on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment