Thursday, April 15, 2010

My Ideal Day Off

Working at lulu has created a new found balance in my running world. Yes, I find myself talking about my training quite often but somehow the focus is different. At work it’s as if my Mario Cart shadow self is discussing the workouts that someone else completed. When I’m at work I can focus on fashion, luon and new friends. I feel like I belong, it has taken awhile but it’s like my love for clothes and social media has carved out a non-runner niche that I really enjoy. This fantastic balance has got me thinking about my life in such a positive way. It’s not like I was sad before but finding something fun to do on the side without becoming consumed by running has made me realize how great you can feel when you're sleeping well and relatively in control.

This morning, thanks to lulu, I came to a very amazing realization.  I was taking in the fresh ocean air after my 30 minute run along the seawall . Yes, it was short run due to my foot injury, but I was so happy to be running. It was 13 degrees, the perfect running temperature. The ocean was gently splashing against the seawall and the sun was reflecting off the surface making these amazing beams of sparkle. It was beautiful. I was living my ideal day!  

This random burst of positivity all dates back to our lulu staff meeting two days ago where we were discussing our “ideal day off.” We all sat in a circle and shared our ideals, when it came to me I didn’t really know what to say or how much detail to go into.  I think it was because I didn’t want anyone to think I was gloating. Since nobody likes a bragger I wimped out and said my ideal day began with making a batch of my weekly granola (refer to earlier posts for the recipe) and would only go up from there. What I could have said: get up mid-morning after a great night’s sleep, make tea and eat some granola, have a kick ass practice, enjoy a non-fat mocha and a muffin, blog while surfing the internet, workout again, hangout while watching the news, have dinner and then if I allow myself dessert I would finish my day off with tea and chocolate covered ju-jubes. 

I could have shared all this or I could have said that I literally live my “ideal day off” every single day! I know some people would find my ideal day totally boring and yes there are other areas of my life that drastically need improvement but I'm absolutely in love with my routine.

It’s so easy to look at negative things, to worry about long-term careers and to feel behind. I'll admit it can make me feel a little insecure trying to explain to people saving for a down payment that I run in circles for a living. For now,  I love running in circles world!

I’m choosing to run and because I’m choosing to run I am choosing to live this life. I am actually living what I think is my ideal day, days which I take for granted too often. You can't ask for much more and I am so grateful for this life!

No comments:

Post a Comment