Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Making Bread

When I was a kid all I wanted was Kraft Peanut Butter, the sugary kind. Other kids had Oreos in their lunches and Fruit Loops for breakfast.  What we called "junky cereal" was reserved for birthdays and Christmas. Peanut butter was made only from nuts and when we were allowed the beloved Corn Pops they were divided evenly and gone in a day. At my house we had an organic food co-op organized out of our car port. My mom ground her own wheat and made her own pasta! There's something so ironic about the things you envy as a child. I didn't appreciate it then but now I'm so proud. My mom is so smart, so ahead of the game and yes I'll admit, so right ;) I want to learn from her so here we are making bread from scratch and by scratch I mean all the way from wheat grains to golden loaf.

To begin, grind wheat. Here, we've upgraded from our hand crank of 1992 to an electric grinder attachment of a Kitchen Aid.


The result, whole wheat flour!

Add the rest of the bread ingredients: yeast, water, butter, salt, sugar, and of course the flour. 

Knead, baby knead! Let it rise, knead again, let it rise and then bake dough at 360 deg for 35 mins. Keep up the good work mom! I say this while taking notes and sipping Marine #7 dark roast from Bean Around the World. 
Ta-da, there's something so satisfying and so rewarding about enjoying the carbs of your labour. It's like they don't even count!
xo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment