Sunday, February 7, 2010

Easy-ish Run and Booster Juice Bike

Today, like every Sunday, I drove to Burnaby Lake with Robbie for our 70-minute morning run. We met Natasha and agreed we were both feeling tired from the weeks workouts. We mustered our energy by sort of feeding off each other and began the run a little easier than normal. I felt okay with this choices because we had good training weeks and why not ease into the run if our bodies were begging for it. My hips felt ok but I was concerned (and still am) that my heel/plantar area of my right foot is hurting more than normal and not really going away. I think it's related to my tight calfs but I'm not sure. The run was enjoyable, despite my sore foot, it was a mild day and I didn't feel too exhausted. Sometimes when I feel really tired and the pace begins fast I start to dread every minute. I think I develop those thoughts because I know I still have to run and I think about how painful the rest of the run is going to be. Luckily for me this wasn't the case today! Because we began slower than normal I felt pretty good and as we ended our run I realized the overall time wasn't really much slower than normal. Naturally we had picked up the pace as we went along instead of the usual slowing when we begin too fast.

I'm really enjoying running at Burnaby Lake. I think the soft ground helps me recover and running with the girls prevents me from going too hard.  I do miss running on the seawall but the pavement, construction closures and people in my way are nice things to avoid. Committing to a morning run is also nice because I don't put off running all day and since I finish so early I have the whole day to do non-running things (usually it's work).

Speaking of non-running things, today I didn't have to work. Instead I gathered all my non-depleted energy and met Renee for a seawall bike ride and a chat. We leisurely biked around the seawall taking in the beautiful sights and exposing ourselves to the overly mild February ocean breeze. I absolutely love the ocean, today we  played tourist and re-exposed ourselves to the beauty of vancouver that I always take for granted. We finished our fantastic afternoon ride with a very enjoyable funky monkey booster juice. Things I learned today..... Well I re-learned how much I love the ocean and even just watching the ocean, I also re-learned I love biking (even with a crappy foot break bike). I need to remember that even when the runs are feeling bad I shouldn't think about how much further I have to run because it's always worse in my mind. Remember you can always go harder you just have to make yourself do it and you have to want to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment