Sunday, February 14, 2010

Officially Feeling the Olympic Spirit!

I haven't moved since I got home from work because I'm so tired but ironically I'm wired and can't go to sleep. Thinking back over the last few days my fatigue is totally understandable. It has been a crazyawesomefun few days of training, torch chasing and opening ceremonies celebrating.  I got up before dawn on Thursday morning to cheer on Brit as she ran with the torch. I didn't really want to go, I thought I was going more out of obligation than anything else. Boy was I wrong.  I didn't really understand the olympic spirit feeling until i experienced the emotion of Brit holding the torch high and proud. I couldn't help myself as I darted thought the crowd chasing the torch down the road along with the rest of my training group. I get it! I'm so glad I got up! I'm so excited to feel the pride and the passion of a city that usually gets by on its looks. I saw the torch three more times that day and managed to fit in a hill workout.

I modified my hills today. I ran up a grass hill beside the track to give my sore plantar some softer ground. It was terribly windy, rainy and lonely. I must admit I didn't want to do it. My mindset was terrible, I was very aware I had only slept for a few hours and my hips and shoulders were tight. I told myself that effort was all that mattered today, I was working improving aerobic system. After 5 minutes I considered stopping at 10 but once you reach the "hump" or half-way point there's no turning back. There is no stopping.  I would regret it all day. I finished with a 20-minute cool down and didn't move onto the track for sprints because of my sore foot.

Friday involved another well worth it but very early morning. Ella slept over and we got up at 5am to stalk Arnold and the torch. It was insane, we saw arnold amongst a hugely crazed crowd. I was sprinting, pushing, jumping and reaching. It was so much fun!  After a 3 hour nap (thank god friday was rest day) I watched the opening ceremonies from the shaw towers. We realized about half way through the evening that a second cauldron was literally below our building.  We had a front-row, completely unobstructed view of Wayne Gretzky lighting the cauldron! More to come but for now I'm off to bed to prepare for a sunday run!

No comments:

Post a Comment