Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday Broken 1000's

 After tossing and turning all night and finally finding rest around 3 am the 7:50 alarm came way too quickly. My hips felt tight as I was trying to sleep and I think subconsciously I was concerned they would limit my morning practice. I tired my normal sleep remedy: I found my golf ball and tried to target the tight areas, drank water and took melatonin but turning off my workout worries was I think my real problem.

I was out of the Bowen house by 8:05 and on the 8:30 ferry with a fantastic sung coffee! Warm-up was tiring and I felt half asleep. I was worried about making it through the workout.  Through the whole 20-minutes the front and sides of my hips were making it hard to run efficiently and I felt tired from my 4 hours of sleep. I tried to keep telling myself I won't feel tired once I get into the workout. I've had good workouts off of little sleep before and as a bonus it was a beautiful day so I didn't have to deal with any terrible weather elements.  I was relieved to hear the workout was broken 1000, 600, 1000, 600, 1000! I didn't want to deal with race pace stuff today.  I began the workout with a 1000 feeling better than expected, finishing in 3:07, I love running in spikes. My 600 was 1:49 and the second 1000 was 3:08. After the 1000 I was worried my body was giving up I felt more weak than tired and heavy. I decided to take my ventolin and moved onto a 1:52 600. After an unimpressive 600 I though there was no way I would be able to handle another 1000. As the 1000 began I was surprised to feel that my weakness wasn't there, I was tired from running but I didn't feel weak. I finshed the first 200 in normal pace and went through 600 slower than I would have liked, 1:51 but it wasn't terrible, I knew I could finish the workout and crossed the line in an acceptable 3:10. I'm so happy I finished the workout strong. Moral of today...don't think about the next interval until you're in it. Don't waste energy talking yourself down before you start because you have no idea how you will feel until you're in it.  I will take this experience with me the next time I feel crappy half-way through, I know I also have to thank ventolin but all and all it was a positive day overall.


No comments:

Post a Comment