Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday Hills

Lets try this again... I have created blogs in the past without any real success or direction. To begin with I'm basically going to discuss anything related to my running: workouts, strength training, mind, diet, recovery and races. I'm also excited to use this blog as a tool to dive deep into my thoughts while running. I realize the importance of maintaining a positive mind-body connection but I feel as if I can explore a lot deeper than ever before using this tool. I hope to look for patterns and find some common ground. My ultimate goal is to run fast, breaking 2:01 and then 2-flat.....I wish it were that simple. I'm simply going to discuss my workouts and from here I'm excited to see where this will go.

Thursday Hills: Today I had a fantastic day. The sun was out and Rob and I went for a walk through downtown to checkout the olympic village from the birds-eye view of the cambie street bridge. I had practice in the afternoon and began with a 15 minute warm up followed by stretching, strides and drills. From this I began 20-minuets of continuous hills. Through warm-up I was very aware of how stiff I felt through my hips. I also noticed this stiffness as I was walking earlier in the day and I was concerned I may feel tight in the hip area during the workout. I began the hills slower than I normally do, usually I like to start out fast, but I went out controlled. I was tight in the front and side of my hips but it wasn't as debilitating as it has been in the past. I didn't feel like the hips were limiting me today, I took advantage of this and picked up my pace with each lap. After 10-minutes I moved to the shorter hill to work on my speed and continued to feel strong as I pick up the pace with every hill. Today was a good day, I began feeling slightly stiff and tired and finished feeling happy and strong! I finished with a 400 on the track to work on race pace speed because I'm having trouble running all out. I feel like the front of my hips are fatiguing too quickly and I'm not able to run as fast as my mind wants me to. Today I didn't run the 400 as well as I would have liked, my lungs are not that tired but the front of my hips feel like they are limiting my turnover. I'm trying not to think about it too much right now, all and all my workout was strong. I finished with a 15-minute cool down and then rushed to an amazing dinner with my family to celebrate my sisters 23rd birthday. I'm grateful for my family, my great day with my boyfriend and my running ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment