Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Catching Up- the post-olympic experience!

Ok well obviously I have been really enjoying the olympic spirit since it has been almost a month since I last posted. As a result of all this enjoyment I am still recovering.  I've been too tired and busy with all of my training, sickness, fatigue and work that has taken over.  Where to start where to start? How do I recap my fun month-long adventure in one post?

I started out torch chasing and "olympic-ing." I had the fantastic opportunity to watch the opening ceremonies from the beautiful shaw towers overlooking Coal Harbour. From our window we had the unobstructed view of Wayne Gretzky lighting the torch and the fireworks display that went along with it. From that moment on the city erupted in a sea of liveliness, it literally exploded in this amazingly positive excitement. It was felt everywhere especially at work, the atmosphere at Lulu was amazing but I was sure exhausted after only a few days.

Fortunately after five days of "Olympic-ing" my family and I took off to Arizona. It was warm, sunny, fun and most importantly relaxing. My days consisted of the perfect running routine, getting up early to workout, meeting my family for breakfast post workout, pool lounging in the late morning/afternoon and shopping in the evening. I couldn't have ask for a better routine and lucky for me my family shares my coffee addiction so this was a very much required component to every outing. While in Arizona I spent a lot of time cross training to try and heal my plantar fascia injury. It always feels as if it's on the cusp of becoming bad but at this point I can't make myself stop.  After Arizona I retuned for some more of the fabulous olympic experience. I saw Burton Cummings at a victory ceremony, who knew he had so many well-known hits! I watched my friend compete in the OLYMPICS in the bobsled at the whistler sliding centre (he had the support of many friends and a hand made sign) and witnessed the gols metal hockey game (from my tv set). Never in my life or probably ever again will I see so many people flood into the streets of downtown vancouver. I was right in the thick of it, the streets were so crowded there was nowhere to go but up. So that's what happened, people started to climb signs, traffic lights, every bus stop cover and honning possible. Sometimes I would look up and wonder how someone could possibly climb a vertical post so high.

The next day, the day after the closing ceremonies, the city literally deflated. I'll admit it was much needed. After only a week of partying I couldn't possibly imagine continuing at that pace. I am still exhausted and finally getting over a cold that hit me two days post-olympics. For now it was an amazing experience, I'm so glad to have been a part of it. I'm so appreciative of my family vacation, I want to go back. But for now I am so exited to focus once again completely on my training routine. I had a taste of the "normal life" the constant partying that I was craving and I've realized it's more fun as a taster.

I Just finished the first practice back a Mundy Park since December. 2k, Full, 2K, Full (5K warm-up and 15 minute cool down) it was exhausting which is the way it should be but it was also refreshing. I'm glad to be up-ing the mileage again and I'm looking forward to really focusing on speed and re-finding my racing fight once this training block is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment