Thursday, March 18, 2010

Record Setting Cross Training Session

Today I set my personal record for the longest time I've ever spent cross training. I must admit, I only cross train when I'm injured which means I hate it. I feel this way because it takes longer, burns less calories, takes longer to get your heart rate up and to top off this long list of positivity... it's totally boring! Anyways after a much needed chiropractor appointment I decided I can't ignore my sore foot anymore. It's not terrible at this point but I've been in this position many before and time and time again I push it past the limits, wind up injured and spend months on the bench. I'm trying to be smart this time.

In all honesty I showed up for 2:30 practice at 3:30- I missed the memo! I took it as a sign. I hopped on the elliptical for my 30-minute warm up. I figured I would try to mimic the hills I was missing.  Once I up'ed the incline I could feel a painful pulling feeling so I decided to stop that and hop on the bike. I biked for 30-mintues, gave my foot a rest then went back to the elliptical for another 30. I finished off with a 20-minute bike. I was really thirsty and sweating like a pig so I decided to call the last 10-minutes. I've never cross trained for an hour and fifty minutes before so I figured this was good enough for today.

I'm totally upset that my foot hurts. I don't enjoy watching practice from the SFU gym windows but I'm determined to try and accept this small set-back and avoid injury for a longer term gain. While I was working out I did feel strong and I worked really hard. I know I have to go for longer to target and maintain my aerobic fitness so I'm going to do it. I kept telling myself as I biked very strongly 2:01. 2:01. 2:01..... Commonweath Games Standard!

No comments:

Post a Comment