Saturday, March 27, 2010

Round 2 with the rubber boots

After an awesome quasi-late night of rockin' out to 90's music at Library Square I woke up at 8:15 fighting the urge to hit the snooze. I wasn't out too late, I had at least a seven hours of sleep under my belt, but getting up was still a challenge. Fortunately, it was a beautiful morning. The sun warmed our skin as we eased into the 15-minute warm-up run.

Workout today was 1000, 4x400. I must admit I wasn't nervous for this 1000 but I think it was because I wasn't prepared mentally to challenge myself for the full distance. I was in my rubber boots again and I knew it was going to be hard. I think I made it out to be even harder than it had to be. It's like when you go to bed knowing full well the most sleep you could possibly ever get is not nearly enough and you create this dramatic picture in your head of how terrible the next morning is going to feel. But when that alarm bell rings it's never really as bad as your perception. Same sort of thing, back to the workout, I went through the first 400 in 67. I was stiff, possibly not warmed up enough, and thinking how am I going to finish this interval (not a great mindset for a good time). When I rounded 600 I found myself thinking, get moving there's only 400 left!  Now at 400 I should have felt like I can finish but it's going to hurt really badly and not oh wow only 400 to go..... I hit 800 in 2:25 and 1000 in 3:03 which is more than a little disappointing.

I let it get to me that I'm stuck duking it out in running shoes. Today the 1000 was a cop-out. For now rubber boots is may fate and I'm so lucky to be running at all. I need to learn to work with what I have and not against it. There's really no point sitting in a corner upset that I'm not seeing the times I want especially if I'm not willing to work as hard as I can to reach them.

I know I am willing to work to the max! I smartened up for the 400's. My left hip was tired from taking a lot of my weight, it wasn't working properly mechanically, but I still managed 68, 67, 67, 67 thanks to Tasha sneaking up from behind during the last 100-metres of every interval. Both Julia's pacing and racing Tasha helped me find my fight and hit those times (that's why training partners are so helpful!).  Typically I wouldn't be happy with high 60's for 400's but in flats but today I'll take it!  I'm happy with how I finished. I felt as if I raced and ran as hard as I could given the circumstances. I started out the first part of the 400's harder than I though I should to test my limits and the times worked out. I just wish I was stronger through the 1000. Moral of today, don't wimp out, always fight and always race! I believe this practice mindset will make fast times happen when the pressure is on! Take risks and begin a little harder than you think you should. Process will make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment