Sunday, March 14, 2010

From 400's to Plantar Pain

I'm sitting here less than impressed with my throbbing foot. I have finished my first 60 minute bike of the day and I'm waiting to go again for another 30-40 minutes. I drove up to SFU in hopes of using the elliptical but the pain in my foot decided otherwise. I decided not to follow up with my elliptical plan because pushing through pain is what got me here in the first place. Although the added hour of driving was useless, I did enjoy my very favourite Renaissance Coffee on the way home and their mochas are always well worth the drive.

Yesterday's workout was 8x400m with 2 minutes in between. We began with a 20-minute warm-up and drills. Through warm-up I knew 400's would be my fate and I felt ok about it. I felt as if I needed the confidence boost of getting through this type of gruelling workout. I started the first four 400's well: 64,64,64,65 followed by a slower 66,67,69,68.  I felt pretty strong at the beginning and I didn't feel like I was running too fast.  I was going thorough 200 in 31 for the first 4 and then moved up to 32's. We were pretty consistent with the 2 minute breaks, which is not always the case, and I began to feel it on the last few. All and all my hips were feeling a lot better than last week but on the last three intervals I was really feeling it in the front as I slowed mostly during the second half of each interval. After about 200-metres I felt like I was working with fraying rope as hip flexors. I completely lost my knee drive and it was really hard to keep my core in as I fatigued and became increasingly dependent on pushing through with my strong muscles instead of moving my arms, keeping my pelvis level and core tight. However I felt as if I was pushing as hard as I could on the last interval and I was focused on racing and not giving up in the last 100. I believe this workout is an improvement and I'm going to take the point where I am now and work from here. I will always have expectations about what I should be running but I'm going to try to focus on the now and work from here, on the process, to become stronger through those last 400's....it's only March and I believe I will get faster naturally through those last 4 400's!!!!!

While cooling down I finished the full 20-minutes but I could feel a twinge of pain in my plantar. I figured it was due to spikes but since it wasn't bad at all before the start of the workout I assumed it would go away. I was wrong. I had to work at Lulu and the pain was terrible as I was on my feet for 8 hours. I tried to lean on things, walk slowly and balance on my good leg but I had to admit to myself and others that my foot was seriously sore (it didn't help that the pain forced me to limp around the store all night).   When I got home from work I iced and hoped that the pain would go away by morning so I could join Tasha for our Sunday morning run at Burnaby Lake.  I was forced to cancel which brings me back to now. I'm still sitting, icing my foot and really, really hoping this pain goes away!

No comments:

Post a Comment