Thursday, January 13, 2011

Back on track

I woke up this morning to my calves screaming. After lacing up my flats for a full 5x800-metre track workout I was just asking for it. Whatever, this pain is totally worth the ease of running without the weight of rubber boots (aka running shoes) slowing me down.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this practice, 5x800-metres. I had nothing to compare it to because we're normally on the soft Como Lake surfaces during this time of year. As we began I told myself to relax, to not go out too hard and to find a rhythm. We finished the first 800 in 2:27 and it felt nice like I could do it again and again. I rarely, actually never, finish intervals describing them as "nice" but I felt strong and the pace was ok. As I continued the workout I kind of felt a bit like shark bait. Picture that haunting, hunting music coming on as the fatigue slowly creeps in. That slowly accumulating aerobic fatigue pain - it's my weakness. I can handle the super intense and then it's over pain but for me it's that slow accumulation of lactic that tests my mental strength.

Anyways, that long-winded description described my workout but I fought off the fatigue and kept my 800's consistent 2:27, 2:25, 2:26, 2:27, 2:25. I finished feeling aerobically tested, tight in my hips but still strong. After a 20-minute cool down I felt satisfied and so grateful I was called off from work so that I could avoid standing for the next 6 hours. Recovery!
xo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment