Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rediscovering Bowen

I'm rediscovering this island one run at a time. The snow has forced me to train on the roads so here I am. At first I was totally annoyed at the inconvenience but as it turns out I'm absolutely loving it. I'm looking at this as an amazing opportunity to re-explore places I've never been or haven't visited in years. Yesterday I ran towards Stephanie Steven's old place and let's just say I remember the island being significantly less hilly.

Running Route: start to self-named dead end beach and back
Today I ran like I was Forest Gump. Well, not totally like him but I had no idea where I was going - I was just runnin'.  I ended up trekking along Mt. Gardner road and let's just say again this island is extremely hilly! It was so unusual, I felt free, I had no plan I just wanted to explore. Around 30 minutes into my run I came across llamas yes, llamas. What are they doing on this island? New to me. Anyways, after seeing llamas my curiosity motivated me to continue. I ran all the way along Mt. Gardner and as the pavement became rocky pothole pavement which became progressively rural gravel I came to a dead end that also happened to be a beautiful beach. Amazed that I had never been to this place before I took a second to take in my beautiful surroundings then turned around and headed for home.

On my way back I realized I really do live on small town island time. As I was running past the recycling depot one of the big grabage trucks pulled out and honked at me. It's not what you think, they didn't honk because I was in their way, Dylan and Louise live down the road and were cheering me on. So here I was almost an hour into my run, slogging up a big hill beside the garbage truck as Dylan and Louise are telling me to "pick up the pace."

Later that day the small town feel went one step further when my mom saw Dylan going for run. Exhausted he said, "the only reason I'm going for this run is becuase I saw Rebecca running today." Loving this small town. Happy to inspire ;)
xo
Becks

1 comment:

  1. I know, the hill is massive! Love how I made your blog :) Keep up the great articles! I'm missing Bowen for sure. Steph xox

    ReplyDelete