Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kicking this cold!

Today I was thinking that I'm really happy with my immune system - that's it! I realize this sounds totally preposterous but I've fighting a cold this past week and I'm winning. It started in my head and slowly began to invaded my lungs. Despite my anatomy classes I didn't realize the lungs go so far down your back until the mucus rattling in my lower lungs told me so. Anyways, as it should be I'm kicking this cold's ass and feeling better day by day. Last year and pretty much every year since I've been training at this level a cold like this would plague me for weeks.

I've been making a huge effort to push my stubborn ego aside and listen to my body. I take days off when I'm really tired and cross train when my body tells me to. I'm taking my off day runs a little easier than in the past and I've also been fouscing on two hard workouts per week instead of three. So far I'm recovering better than ever and feeling as if my body if functioning like a normal human. I have to admit that this recovery approach has been hard, resting feels like I'm slacking. It seems contradictory to think that focusing on recovery on non-practice days could make you stronger, I need to run, but feeling  strong in my workouts makes the guilt go away a bit. Recovery, what a novel concept eh?

Anyways, for now I'm not debilitatingly exhausted everyday and it's so exciting to catch a cold and quickly get better. We'll see how things pan out as the season progresses but for now I feel live I have the strength to be an active member of society!

It's weird to be a high performance athlete while describing myself as such a weakling but I it has been so long since I've noticed a substantial day-by-day improvement when fighting a cold. Appreciating the simple things and loving feeling good!
xo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment