Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Running in the AQ

Training in SFU's AQ, most people hate it. We literally pound the pavement, flying around sharp bends, of a 500-metre rectangle. I love it! Running down the halls of school makes me feel so fast and more importantly I feel like a bad ass!

Today we completed 10x400metres off of 2 minutes rest. Can you say lactic? From the start I knew this was going to hurt. Our 400s began on the mat by Images Theatre, past Renaissance my favourite coffee shop, around the corner by the cash machine and Raven's, around another corner to the 300-metre mark (3 vending machines) and down the home stretch to the sliding glass doors. This is where Brit stood with her stopwatch and perfectly placed  in front of the sensor so the doors would stay open. Thus, preventing us from going face first into the glass (as if any of us would consider slowing before the finish to avoid this;)

After the first "400" I felt great, 69 seconds was a little slow but I felt strong and I had 9 more. On the next one I picked it up to 67 seconds and by 68 for the third I was already wondering if I could finish. I told myself this normal, this is how I feel with so many hard intervals and it will get better before it gets worse. I told myself the first few will feel ok, then you're going to worry about not finishing, mid way thorough you'll find a rhythm and the last 2-3 will feel really hard. Well, this is exactly what happened!

I managed to keep my next seven 400's in 68/69. As I predicted I found my rhythm by the fifth and the last two 400's left my muscle burning and me gasping for breath. I finished the last one and was absolutely down for the count but so satisfied from the pain. Finishing workouts like this successfully feels so amazing because it was such a struggle last year! We kept a very consistent 2 minute rest, without a set break, and because we were going off of the guy's recovery it was probably closer to 1min 50.

This new found rest and recovery training approaching is leaving me feeling great so far. I'm grateful for this and I can only hope I remain confident enough to continue to listen to my body. I'm so looking forward to strong running!
xo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment