Saturday, May 28, 2011

Weird people on the Seawall

Beautiful, yet predictable 
My seawall runs have been so uneventful recently: manicured lawns and tiny pure bread dogs. Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore this area, I'm just saying it's kinda predictable. Not today though, I'm excited to admit this seawall run was different. I headed out from work to avoid the "I'll do it later" fatigue that hits me the second I get home. The first 30-mintues was blah but during the second half things got interesting.

As I headed through yaletown I was slowly gaining on a girl. I like chasing people down because, crazy or not, it gives me an energy boost. A little competitive? I know. As I approached, she looked back at me and started to pick it up. I thought to myself; ok, bring it!

I kept running at my consistent pace and slowly started creeping up. I was back to within 15-ish metres when she glanced back and tried to pick it up...again. Totally annoying this time but kinda fun too! We ran like this for about 10 minutes, me maintaining a consistent pace with her looking back and darting. I felt like a shark tracking her prey, maybe we should of just ran together but here's the kicker. When I got to my turn around spot by the "big pool" my prey stopped and bent over in exhaustion. It was such an anti-climatic ending to my game, I still had at least 20 more minutes and was tired from the hunt (stupid ego).

I guess the joke was on me; anyways, I started back and passed a man running with a backpack. Why the backpack you ask? I don't know. I wasn't paying much attention to backpack man but his feet  slapping the pavement informed me he quickened his pace. Ok, here we go again but this time the hunter was now the hunted. This was until backpack took out the kid!

I make a point of always looking a few moves ahead of me because I don't want anything to affect my pace, I'm that neurotic. I saw a kid up a few moves ahead and I know from experience that they have a habit of dodging right in front of you. I anticipated this so I went wide around the kid to avoid any slowing. I guess backpack guy wasn't paying much attention. From what I could decipher by the mom yelling and backpacks's slapping feet coming to a grinding halt; the kid got in the way. When I looked back the kid seemed fine.

I finished my run by heading over the Burrard Street Bridge. I was thinking about how weird this run was when my thoughts were frozen dead in their tracks. This ass walking along the cross road jumped out as if he was going to charge me! He thought he was just hilarious but honestly he scared the crap out of me. I gave him an exhausted death stare and muttered a few words I won't mention.

I finished my run feeling great but I'm wondering, is it a full moon or something?
xo
Becks

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh - I'm also guilty of chasing people down, as well as proving that I can run up the stairs in the Tube faster than your average businessman. ;)

    ReplyDelete