Sunday, May 16, 2010

A 400 and 15 200 Tuesday

It's been awhile since my last post, I've been running hard and sometimes the ability to siphon the energy required to compose a coherent sentence, let along a whole post, feels like it was left on the track.

It's been a few days but my Tuesday workout deserves an honourable mention. The practice was a 400 at 800-metre pace followed by 3x5 sets of 200's with 1 minute between reps and 3 minutes between sets. I felt a bit of the early morning weakness through the 400 but I put on my spikes and managed to finish in 59. I'll admit this time felt hard due to my recent foot-injury-lack-of-fitness but I haven't been able to comfortably run under 60 seconds in practice for awhile so I'll take it as leap in the right direction.

I changed into my racing flats and after a 4.5 minutes break began the 200's. I told myself the first few reps were going to feel harder than they should thanks to the previous 400. I was right but I managed to hit 30 seconds for all of my 200's. I was totally happy with this but I had to admit I was tired. I told myself not think about the 10 200's left on my plate but instead just to focus on the next set the appetizer. After a well needed 3 minutes we began the second set. I felt like I was starting to find my rhythm and hit mostly 30s with one or two 31's. After 10 I was exhausted and didn't know if I could keep the pace so I decided to change into my spikes. As I always say spikes are a godsend, the ease at which you can run compared to rubber boots is amazing. I realized how much harder I was working in my flats after putting on spikes and it made me feel pretty good about the first two sets. I finished off the 200's in a consistent 29-30.

I feel like a runner again, I can feel my old self returning. As I run I can once again give myself instructions that I know I can follow: contract the core, keeps your arms close, relax the hands. I can tell myself to push it and to try and run harder and drum roll..... I actually can make myself run faster. I'm starting to remember how great it feels to run when you're strong and I'm so so grateful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment