Friday, May 7, 2010

Running hills on the hill

It was a crisp, beautiful morning at SFU. There was no hail to contend with and I think this helped a long hill workout become significantly more bearable. I was happy to be doing some aerobic work, being injured has forced me to miss some of these important runs. For me some early workouts are like russian roulette, I never know what to expect, I try so hard but I'm just not a morning person.

Today was a welcomed surprise! I began the 20-minute hill session just hoping to feel strong. At first, I thought I had gone out too fast and was going to pay for it about 13 minutes in. As I attacked every hill it most definitely became harder but I was able to keep it together. With every rep I focused on keeping my core tight, relaxing my hands and trying to swing my arms. When I think of my form I'm trying to develop muscle memory that will help disperse fatigue throughout my whole body instead of having it focus in on my legs.

 I began my warm-up feeling incredibly stiff thanks to circuit training from the day before as well as a pm bike session and 6 hours of work. I realize I it's incredibly negative to doubt my strength before I even begin my workout but the last few weeks of terrible racing has made this very hard. For now, as I get my fitness back, I'm being realistic and today my legs felt great! For once, my hips were not limiting me at I reached the steepest parts of the hill.

I'm still waiting for a switch to flip, you know the one that will make me feel fast and fluid again during my races.  I would describe today as a dimmer switch I feel like someone has turned it up a bit. I know I'm on the right track (no pun intended) at least in my workouts and I think the races will eventually follow. I need to remember that even when I feel bad during warm-up the workout doesn't always follow the same fate. I'm grateful that my foot is feeling great and that I can finally focus on some solid weeks of running without worrying about it tearing! Be positive it's all in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment