Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A switch has been flipped!

I’m back baby, not only back but better than any race last year back (ha by .01). My time wasn’t all that fantastic but the fantastic part about it was I felt great! I’ve never been so happy to run 2:03.63. Today I could race, I was competitive and I had gears. The switch I’ve been praying for has FINALLY switched!

I was so excited to be part of this meet. It was very low-key but there was so much talent flowing out of every pore of the small stadium that it more than made up for it.

I didn’t know what to expect today. I’ve been taking it really easy because I’ve been fighting off a bit of sickness but I knew that my glands weren’t going to get in my way today. Warming up I was tight and I immediately began doubting myself. It's easy to justify my record doesn’t have much to speak of: tight hips and 208’s.  But about ¾ of my way through warm-up I passed a few amazing runners and realized the main difference between these runners and me is that they believe in themselves. Why am I doubting myself before I even start? It’s racing suicide.  As I passed those runners I immediately started to feel better,  I told myself to snap out of it. I told myself I’ve felt bad in warm-ups before and had great runs. I changed my attitude and made sure I was well warm up so I wouldn’t feel bad in the race due to oxygen debt.  

All I had to do today was sacrifice two minutes of my life to the run – my one max effort. Not a bad day at the office.

When the gun went off I tried to get into a good position. I went through 400 in 59-60 and was so pleased to be thinking omg I don’t feel terrible, I don’t feel like I won’t make it my legs are ok. I was in a bad spot at this point, on the outside pretty much in lane 2. I had another gear and I didn’t know when to use it because I didn’t want to waste too much energy on the curves. I hit 1:31 at 600-metres and kicked it with 150 to go. I was 4th in my heat in 2:03.63. I think if I had gone a little earlier with about 250 to go I would have been faster.  I lost contact with the first three girls who ran the times I’m still praying to run. I think if I kept with them I could have put in a good fight. 

I keep thinking about how I should of done this or that and the outcome of the race would have been different. I’m telling my mind to stop now. I told myself if I ever got to even 205, with the way I have been feeling, I would be grateful. I am so grateful, I’m going to take this racing experience, learn from it and do even better next time. My fight is back, my determination is back and I’m so happy for it. The switch has flipped and I’m so looking forward to the rest of the season!

xo Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment