Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A giant weight has been lifted

As you can see, I’m sitting by the pool relaxing on a very comfy lounge chair in Pasadena. I’m soaking up my last few hours of sun before I head back to rainy Vancouver. I just finished my Sunday run and I’m enjoying an Orange Overload juice it up smoothie. My Sunday run was exhausting. It has only been about 15 hours since my race so I’m ok with being a little tired. I did an out-and-back run so I wouldn't get lost in a new place.  When you don’t know where you’re going it’s easier mentally to run in one direction instead of trying to kill time doing laps of the neighbourhood. To my unfortunate realization, on this run, when I turned around at 30 minutes I learned I had been running with the wind. I spent the entire second half of my run battling the huge gusts of wind that kept trying to prevent me from getting back to my hotel.

Despite slogging through my run mentally I felt light as a feather, a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. This is the first time I’ve been happy with my racing performance this year! For once I didn’t run an absolutely terrible 2:08! YES….

I didn’t realize how much of my energy has been devoted to my remaining positive while running terrible. It’s almost as exhausting as running itself. Looking back, I’m happy with how I’ve handled myself. I didn’t have any freak outs, well major freak outs, and I feel like I’m finally returning back to my normal running self. I have been keeping things in perspective. I know I can't let my running highs become too high or my running lows become too low. I've also been trying to focus on other amazing aspects of this fun life while waiting for a switch to flip.

Sitting here I keep thinking about racing. I’m looking forward to the next one instead of worrying who’s going to beat me. I am going to look at every race as an opportunity to show what I can do. I believe again, for real this time and I know I can run fast. I can finally race, I can fight, I have a chance.  I’m ready to take risks, kick ass and most importantly I’m going to love every minute. I’m so grateful to be able to run!

xoxo
Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment