Saturday, May 8, 2010

Found a new gear!

Today was a sports bra and shorts kind of morning. It was what summer track is all about. The sun warmed my my muscles but it wasn't heat-exhaustion humbling. I woke up feeling good about the workout partially due to the weather but also because I knew my practice wasn't going to be that hard. I mean 5 broken 600's isn't a walk in the park but it's nothing compared to throwing 1000's into the mix. My confidence needed a doable workout day. I have been working hard through the past week, trying to focus on process, and I was still tired from it. My glands were also a bit bigger than they should be probably due to weeks of travelling.

I told myself I shouldn't expect to feel perfect I train hard and I'm always tired. Despite my sore throat practice went well. Today I found a new gear!

I started off my first 600's in racing flats, in my mind I was focusing on making the 200's strong and floating though the easy 200's. My first 600 was 1:52 it was too slow! I could use my racing flats as an excuse but it was still too slow. I followed up with 1:50 and 1:47. Then I changed into spikes and finished in 1:50 and 1:49.

At first I was frustrated with these times, I mean even when I'm doing 1000's I tend to go through 600 in these times or faster. I decided half way through to suck it up and quit complaining (in my head). I still felt good so I chose to take what I was been given and run with it. Today I could finally actually race!!!! For the first time in so so so long I tried to run faster and I started going faster! What a novel concept. Today my legs did not hinder me. I was in control I didn't feel as if  I was running and hoping for the best. When I decided to pushed it I went faster! What a concept! I am so happy for this newfound gear, it has been in hiding for awhile.

I know it's not all bells and whistles I still have a long way to go. It's hard not to think back to the last time I did broken 1000's and 6's and remember that I was faster through 600 even as I went on for the full 1000. As I try to push these thoughts out of my mind I can say that today is the first day that I felt like my old running self again. I was competitive I could fight and it feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment