Friday, June 18, 2010

UBC quasi-race

It took me two days to write about this UBC quasi-race. Although I'd like to pretend it didn't happen, it did and I learned so I feel compelled to share.  I was getting over travel to New York and I was happy to wake up feeling awake but my voice sounded terrible. It felt as if my glands were invading my vocal cords. As expected I've been feeling a bit tired since I got back from the NY. I think the terrible travel arrangements made me miss out on some much needed sleep and now I'm paying the price.

This tired from racing may be the case but I don't want to blame my bad race on being tried. I'm always tired. I heard an awesome quote from some coach in NY. He said flat out, "tired is not an excuse!" He went on to say, "what do you expect, you train hard every day. The only time you shouldn't be tired is during your two-week break after track season." 

I tend to agree with him, I let my fatigue and tight hips define my race. Sub-conciously I made the decision to give up before I started. When I was running I didn't feel great and I decided, I chose, to submit to my fatigue. I ran a strong 600 and slowed down with 200 to go. When I finished I felt as if I ran a hard interval during practice instead of a race. I finished up with 6x 200 in 28-29. I should have done better than this, I should have fought, terrible times feel terrible.

From now on I need to realize that running strong is a decision. It's a decision! You may not always have the best hand but it's important to take what you're dealt and run with it (pun totally intended...sorry ;) I'm choosing to run strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment