Saturday, June 19, 2010

When did running on Bowen become so complicated?

When did running on Bowen become so complicated? I mean it’s been awhile since I’ve run consistently on the island but my years of experience on these trails should leave me feeling like I can do it with my eyes closed. 

The complication began with my evening run on Bowen. I didn’t run until dusk (8pm) because I was tired from an early morning run and spending the day on the EA set. I’m glad I waited because I felt great as I began with a lovely jaunt through the meadow and around the lake. When I came out of the lake I could hear this awful screeching sound. At first I thought nothing of it but as it got louder I looked up and saw two owls staring at me, waiting. I know it seems harmless but both my mom and dad have been clawed in the head by these nocturnal evil creatures. At one point they actually made my dad bleed and I’ve had my ponytail clipped.

I told them they weren’t going to get me this time. To protect my head I stopped and picked up a long, skinny stick in defence. I began waving it over my head while yelling  “aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.”  When all this commotion this did nothing (thank god nobody was around) the owls gave me a mocking glance of acknowledgement while leaving me no choice but to run past them. I went for it, I made whip like movements with the stick while yelling hiiii-ya, hiiiiii-ya. I did this for about five minutes, I was literally a crazy running lady with a stick, and when I was finally in the clear I cast the stick aside and sprinted for home.

The next day I began my long run relaxed. My legs felt a bit tight but my body felt good. I was really enjoying my run through the soft trails.Then out of nowhere about 20 minutes in I tripped over a root, fell flat on my face and rolled down a dirt hill. I was on the ground so fast but it felt like I was moving in slow motion. I had no control, I was falling and it was as if I could see myself. I was literally watching myself on TV fall but I was also in my own body.  It felt like one of those dreams where you're in control of your movements but at the same time you're also watching yourself move.  

I wasn’t hurt from my fall but I totally bruised my ego. I’m grateful nobody was around to see it. After about 3 minutes of feeling sorry for myself I told the universe to bring it on and finished my run as a dirty sweaty mess. See…..

No comments:

Post a Comment